2009 — Present
Writing, editing and proofreading for magazines and corporate clients. Specialties and areas of interest include home decor, gardens, food, art and culture, parenting, health, and business.
Editor, Renaissance Publishing Group, LLC
2007 — 2009
- Served as editor of both House and Home, a monthly 40,000-circulation consumer magazine, and Louisiana Builder, the official bimonthly publication of the Louisiana Home Builders Association.
- Oversaw editorial process for each issue from planning through production.
- Assigned articles to writers. Wrote headlines, photo captions, and additional articles. Edited articles and worked with art director to guide layout concepts and cover images.
- Guided comprehensive redesigns of both publications, including cover logos, font and image selections, and department changes.
Editor, Mississippi Magazine
2002 — 2007
- Led the editorial team of a bimonthly 45,000-circulation consumer magazine.
- Planned, edited, and publicized two books, At the Table and Easy Does It: Entertaining.
- Developed and launched three annual magazine supplements targeted at specific readers and advertisers: theBOOK (home building and remodeling), Field Guide (sports and outdoors), and Unwrapped (holiday shopping).
- Formulated concept and content for magazine’s Web site, increasing exposure to potential readers and raising sales of subscriptions and ancillary products.
Senior Copywriter, Bloomingdale's by Mail
2000 — 2002
- Wrote sales copy for internationally distributed fashion and home catalogs that reached 671,000 households.
- Developed concepts and wrote copy and headlines for 30 catalogs each year, as well as Bloomingdale’s credit card inserts and WeddingChannel.com.
- Partnered with merchandise buyers to create effective marketing strategies for product lines.
- Served as primary backup for copy chief.
Editor/Writer, Louisiana State University Office of University Relations
1998 — 2000
- Wrote and edited news releases on research, faculty achievements, and campus events.and pitched stories to national and regional media.
- Pitched stories to national and regional media and achieved placements with major magazines and newspapers.
- Served as assistant editor of staff newsletter, LSU Today.
Newsletter Editor, Business & Legal Reports, Inc.
1995 — 1998
- Wrote and edited monthly environmental compliance newsletters for nine states.
- Balanced nine distinct rotating deadlines to create unique newsletters targeted to industry, covering legislation, regulations, enforcement, and other news.
- Wrote feature articles and compliance tips for national environmental newsletter, translating complex technical information into practical, plain-English formats.
Staff Writer, The Daily Leader
1995 — 1995
- Wrote news and feature articles for a 10,000-circulation daily newspaper.
- Covered beats including health care, education, government, and courts, maintaining relationships with sources in all areas.
- Worked extensively on feature series and special sections.